Why would you need a recipe to make your own laundry detergent when you can just buy a box of something and throw it in the machine with your dirty clothes?
Here’s why I make my own laundry detergent:
- By adding salt and bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) you are essentially bulking up your washing powder, and making it last longer
- There is no need to use softener (money saved!). This also keeps your washing machine cleaner because softener creates a buildup in your machine which later on creates slimy black flecks that are near impossible to get rid of
- It makes your towels super absorbant
- The salt you add is great for stain removal. It helps to maintain bright colours and it can even prevent the yellowing of your whites
- The baking soda has mild alkali qualities which are great for the removal of dirt and grease. It also acts as a softener because it prevents the buildup in washing machines caused by hard water. For more baking soda uses in laundry care, please click here.
You might see some of that slimy black flecks start to appear as soon as you start using this detergent. Then you will know that this recipe works because it’s cleaning your washing machine from the inside. You can remedy this by rinsing your clothes again and do an empty wash with this detergent just to get rid of most of the grime.
- mixing bowl
- Big spoon
- 2 kg washing powder machine wash
- 1 kg salt
- 500 g bicarbonate of soda or you can use epsom salt
- Mix everything together and store it in a container with a lid.
- Use half a cup of this detergent per load. Use more if you don't see any soap bubbles forming during the wash cycle.